Matthew 13:24-30 -- Jesus told them another parable: "The kingdom of heaven is like a man who sowed good seed in his field. But while everyone was sleeping, his enemy came and sowed weeds among the wheat, and went away. When the wheat sprouted and formed heads, then the weeds also appeared.
The owner's servants came to him and said, 'Sir, didn't you sow good seed in your field? Where then did the weeds come from?'
'An enemy did this,' he replied.
The servants asked him, 'Do you want us to go and pull them up?'
'No,' he answered, 'because while you are pulling the weeds, you may root up the wheat with them. Let both grow together until the harvest. At that time I will tell the harvesters: First collect the weeds and tie them in bundles to be burned; then gather wheat and bring it into my barn.' "
Bailey Smith preached on this passage of scripture at my church on Sunday. He did a great job and his message stirred a chord within me. I'll try to remember a few of the things he said in hopes that you too will examine your own heart and determine whether you are wheat or a weed. The first thing that caught my attention is that this scripture describes the church. It's not just about Christians living in a condemned world. It's about church members who have never become Christians. They look like wheat, they grow like wheat and they will be harvested like wheat, but they will be bound and burned because God knows they are weeds. We don't know among us who are weeds and who are wheat. Only God knows the conditions of a person's heart. I may think that you are wheat when in fact you are a weed because all I can see is what's on the outside and the image you project. You may say that you are a Christian. You may tell me about when you were baptized. I may have witnessed when you walked forward in church. Bailey Smith said you may have gone "under the water, but you weren't covered by the blood." He said that maybe you've hit a home run and are running the bases but you skipped over 1st base. When you get to home plate the home run doesn't count because you missed the first base. He said that if you don't like to talk about Jesus, it's probably because Christ is not in you. You can't get to heaven by acting like a Christian and talking like a Christian. Your good works will not save you. Reading the Bible will not save you. Being active in church will not save you. Being a Sunday School teacher or a deacon or a even a pastor, will not save you. What do you have left? The only answer that will set you apart when the servants come to collect the weeds and bind them for the fire is this, "I am not a weed. I am a born-again child of God." Can you say it truthfully?
I realize that probably the only people who check my blog are my friends and my family. If this post upsets you, then you're probably a weed. I love you just the same, but I sure do want you to be wheat!!!! Get ready, the harvest is soon! Let me tell YOU -- I AM NOT A WEED! I AM A BORN AGAIN CHILD OF GOD!!
Monday, June 8, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Preach it sister! I agree completely with the scripture and your explanation of it. And yes I am fearful that some in our church and possibly some in our families might be playing the Christian game. Yet when Christ comes he will separate out the weeds to be burned. Let me tell YOU -- I AM NOT A WEED! I AM A BORN AGAIN CHILD OF GOD too!! Tom Beckwith
Post a Comment